I’m always researching and trying out new product for my skin, hair and nutritional needs. What girl doesn’t? I’m a true believer that nature is the best medicine. I use products that are all natural and organic whenever possible. My latest obsession is coconut oil! I’ve used it over the years but never knew all of its benefits ‘til I became hooked on those raw brownie bites this summer. Commonly used in tropical and Asian countries, coconut oil has the most medicinal and nutritional properties of all other oils.
For your skin: Use it as a body butter and/or facial moisturizer. Mix a couple drops of essential oil of lavender and apply on blemishes. Less is more.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties reduce symptoms of psoriasis, eczema, acne, and other skin problems
- Balances the skin
- Moisturizes all skin types especially dry skin
- Keeps skin youthful and healthy looking
For your hair: Rub into your hands and apply it to damp clean hair. Follow with your daily hair routine or massage it into your scalp and use as a leave-in conditioning treatment. Just a dab will do.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties control dandruff
- Provides proteins needed for nourishing damaged hair
- Helps with growth of hair
- Leaves a smooth shine and feel
For your tummy: Where the real magic occurs. The nutritional value of coconut oil blows the other cooking oils out of the water (and kitchen). Use it the same way you would any other cooking oil. The nutty flavor is also perfect for baking.
- Antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties and contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that improve health in many ways
- Fewer calories than other oils
- Converts into energy immediately
- Increases metabolism and digestion
- Improves cholesterol ratio
- Reduces risk of heart disease
- Strengthens the immune system
- Prevents hardened arteries (Arteriosclerosis)
- Improves insulin secretion
Younger skin, healthier hair, super healthy for your body and it keeps weight off? I’ll take it. I may be a yogi but let’s not get it twisted, I’m still a girl. It’s best to buy organic coconut oil because it assures that it contains no added chemicals or genetically modified additives. You’ll know that you are getting nothing more than pure coconut from the shell. The oil stores as a solid at 76 degrees and below and should be pure white in color. It melts in the palm of your hand or with heat and becomes a colorless liquid. You can find it at most grocery stores too. I fill a small mason jar to add to my toiletries and the rest lives in the kitchen cupboard.